Saturday, January 15, 2011

A day of skiing

Went to Mountain High yesterday.  Woke up at 6:30am; took about 1 h and 15 minutes to get to the East Side.  Lovely morning, about 48oF.  Hardly anyone was there at the 8:30 opening.  I was able to ski all day without any lines at all, just run after run on the groomed snow.  I had my phone running MyTracks on all day, collecting statistics about my runs.  Assuming a 50:50 split between lift chair distance and skiing distance, I skied 27 miles.  According to the phone, I hit a peak speed of 52.0 mph, with most peak speeds in the 40-45 mph range.  Max grade was 60%.

   At some point during the day, I looked at the data and saw the 52mph stat.  Which seemed great, but then I spent the rest of the day thinking, "52mph?  that's crazy, you know what happens if you crash at 52 mph?!"  It felt great to get back on harder terrain after skiing with Ricky last time. 

    Here's a picture of the horrible crowds.  Most of the day, people wouldn't even double up on the quads, the waits were so short.

  Anyway, a lovely day.   Sunny skies, no lines, listening to music, good snow, $30 lift ticket.  Afterwards, Linda took me out to the Foundry on Melrose for awesome food.  

No comments:

Post a Comment